Skip to main content

Application backstory

I'm in the "winding down" phase of my time here in Noumea.  One of my cornerstone achievements is migrating a buggy MS Access app into a shiny new MVC3 (and then MVC4) web application.

I've been working on it off and on for most of my time here (maybe 18 months) and one of my co-workers asked me to document some of the design decisions.  The app kind of grew organically, so I don't have a software spec to point to like I would have had at my prior engagements.  I felt a series of blog posts would be an appropriate way of documenting this.  It's an open source app, so the blog posts are my defense when someone digs into the app and finds some awful hack that migrated from a short-term fix to a permanent solution.

I've got nothing more today, but next time I'll dig into the choice of data access layer.

TUBS on GitHub

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I guess Python isn't so bad after all...

Not wanting to hassle with learning OpenCV and fighting with an edit-compile-execute environment, I decided to use my OpenCV project as an excuse to play around with Python.

I'm still a serious beginner, but I'm beginning to understand why it gets the use it does.

Anyhow, it only took a couple of days to integrate Tesseract OCR, PIL, and OpenCV such that I could open multi-frame TIFF images, perform some basic feature detection, and then use the output of feature detection to focus on a specific region for OCR.

I will admit to having a few false starts.  The first was that I used an older (C++) tutorial that was using some deprecated features of OpenCV and ignoring some other features.  For example, the tutorial was using Hough Line detection to find squares on a printed page.  In order to get to that point there was thresholding, dilating, eroding, inversion, flood filling and so on.  Even then I wasn't getting the correct results.

When I started over, I was using the old…

Getting closer

Discovered that the "toucan" config is distinct from the "austin" config and so can dump a bunch of
drivers.

Unfortunately it looks like I have to merge the Dell board config (board-qsd8x50_austin.c) with the latest generic board config from CodeAurora (board-qsd8x50.c).

Here's where I'm at so far:

corey@patches:~/msm$ git status # On branch gingerbread_rel # Changed but not updated: # (use "git add ..." to update what will be committed) # (use "git checkout -- ..." to discard changes in working directory) # # modified: arch/arm/mach-msm/Kconfig # modified: arch/arm/mach-msm/Makefile # modified: arch/arm/mach-msm/include/mach/board.h # modified: arch/arm/mach-msm/include/mach/camera.h # modified: drivers/input/keyboard/Kconfig # modified: drivers/input/keyboard/Makefile # modified: drivers/input/misc/Makefile # modified: drivers/input/touchscreen/Kconfig # modified: drivers/input/touchscreen/Makefile # modified: dr…

Initial Speech Recognition App

I'm pretty impressed with Microsoft's System.Speech API.  It took less than 3 days to throw together a proof-of-concept application.  The hardest part was probably coming up with the grammar -- documentation for that is pretty thin on the ground.

Anyways, here's the application source code on GitHub if anyone wants a look:
ObserverLengthSampler project

If nothing else, I'd recommend it as a starting point for someone needing a number recognition SRGS grammar in an XML format.