Skip to main content

More progress

On St. Patrick's Day, Dell released an early alpha version of a Streak gingerbread kernel.  They're working from a CodeAurora drop from last year and they're using Broadcom provided brcm4325 drivers instead of the brcm4329 drivers that support both chipsets.

So, I merged the Dell alpha into the current CodeAurora tree and have something that almost builds.

The last piece fell into place today when I found a streak device tree for froyo.  There have been some breaking changes in the build files between froyo and gingerbread, so I need to touch all the make files to get any further.

Still, I might actually have my own gingerbread ROM right around the time Google drops Honeycomb and Dell releases their own version of gingerbread...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Initial Speech Recognition App

I'm pretty impressed with Microsoft's System.Speech API.  It took less than 3 days to throw together a proof-of-concept application.  The hardest part was probably coming up with the grammar -- documentation for that is pretty thin on the ground.

Anyways, here's the application source code on GitHub if anyone wants a look:
ObserverLengthSampler project

If nothing else, I'd recommend it as a starting point for someone needing a number recognition SRGS grammar in an XML format.

I guess Python isn't so bad after all...

Not wanting to hassle with learning OpenCV and fighting with an edit-compile-execute environment, I decided to use my OpenCV project as an excuse to play around with Python.

I'm still a serious beginner, but I'm beginning to understand why it gets the use it does.

Anyhow, it only took a couple of days to integrate Tesseract OCR, PIL, and OpenCV such that I could open multi-frame TIFF images, perform some basic feature detection, and then use the output of feature detection to focus on a specific region for OCR.

I will admit to having a few false starts.  The first was that I used an older (C++) tutorial that was using some deprecated features of OpenCV and ignoring some other features.  For example, the tutorial was using Hough Line detection to find squares on a printed page.  In order to get to that point there was thresholding, dilating, eroding, inversion, flood filling and so on.  Even then I wasn't getting the correct results.

When I started over, I was using the old…

Python and libpuzzle

As much as I've dogged on Python in the past (significant whitespace, really?), I've got to admit that it's
got some cool features too.

For example, I'm playing with libpuzzle (a library for visually comparing images).  It has a command line utility and a C and PHP API.  Unfortunately, the CLI utility doesn't allow one to dump the raw comparison vector, and it's a PITA to write C just to play with a library.

Python's native "ctypes" to the rescue!

from ctypes import * class PuzzleCvec(Structure): _fields_ = [("sizeof_vec", c_size_t), ("vec", c_char_p)] class PuzzleCompressedCvec(Structure): _fields_ = [("sizeof_compressed_vec", c_size_t), ("vec", c_char_p)] class PuzzleContext(Structure): _fields_ = [("puzzle_max_width", c_uint), ("puzzle_max_height", c_uint), ("puzzle_lambdas", c_uint), ("…